When you purchase a piece of artwork, there are several things you need to consider to protect your purchase. This is part 1 of a several part series of considerations and tips when you purchase art.
Documentation and information you should receive from the art gallery and/or artist:
- You should always receive a Bill of Sale. Keep it with the artwork
- Letter of Authenticity, especially important if the piece is limited edition.
- Type of artwork. May be obvious, but make sure you know if it's an original, limited edition or reproduction.
- Get the artist resume and biographical information, keep an updated version. Keep it with the artwork.
- Artist statement. Keep it with the artwork.
- Any special care or handling instructions to care for your piece of artwork.
- Sign up for the gallery and artist's mailing list so you can follow the artist's career.
- Meet the artist. Go to an opening to meet them.