Previously I posted some Dos for purchasing artwork directly from artist, now here's a list of Don'ts:
- Don't talk about other art or other artists' work you own.
- Don't talk about deals you've gotten in the past.
- Don't play one artist against another. It won't get you a lower price. (Don't play games. Buying art is about getting something you love and want to own forever.)
- Don't try to bargain just to see how low you can get it for.
- Don't put down a piece of art to try to get a better price.
- Don't tell an artist that their work is overpriced. It may be, but just move on.
- Don't insult or talk down to an artist. Don't act like you are doing them a big favor by purchasing their art. Mutually beneficial artist-collector relationships can help both of you.
What other don'ts can you think of when purchasing art directly from an artist?